Contact us on 07710 096553 if you are looking for a sash and case window repair company that serves Stirling, Dunblane, Bridge of Allan and the Central Scotland area. We have vast experience in restoration work to timber sash and case windows to Listed Buildings in the Outstanding Conservation areas of the Kings Park Stirling, Dunblane and Bridge of Allan.
We strictly follow this guidance issued by Historic Environment Scotland.
Inspecting Your Sash and Case Windows
Regular checks will help you to spot any signs of damage or decay so that you can deal with them promptly.
You will have to look carefully at each of your sash and case windows in turn to work out the extent of any defects requiring repair. A problem that affects one window won’t necessarily affect them all.
Most defects you’re likely to find in sash and case windows will be obvious on close visual inspection. Timber decay is less easy to spot, and you will need to test suspect timber with a penknife – sound timber will resist the blade.
What to look for during an inspection
- visible gap at windowsill
- gaps causing draughts
- misaligned meeting rails (where top of inner sash meets bottom of outer sash)
- joints in sashes opening up
- broken sash cords
- broken or cracked glass
- flaking or missing paint
- timber missing or damaged
- worn sides to sashes
- signs of previous repairs
- missing or defective glazing putty
- missing or defective external mastic
- missing or defective sill bedding mortar
- sashes drop or rise of their own accord or drift out of position
- timber decay in windowsill
- timber decay in parting beads
- timber decay in sash frame
- timber decay in hidden parts of case joinery
- debris in weight pockets
- shutters won’t open
- shutters open only with difficulty
- split panels in shutters or lining
- timber decay to shutters or lining
- damp plaster in window recess or behind shutters
- structural defects in the window opening or surrounding wall
Contact us now on 07710 096553 if you are looking for repairs, restoration, replacement, draught proofing solutions, secondary double glazing and repairs and replacement to your timber sash and case windows.